Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gardening Man

Gardening Man
A Tribute to a FullPhiling Life

Written by Nancy Johnson, neighbor to my parents
September 29, 2009
{This beautiful, beautiful gift was presented to my mom the day before the memorial}

The house on the corner welcomes me home.
this is not my house;
but a home that adorns the street where I live.
A neighborhood "welcome mat".

The tended garden.
The comforting landscape-
lovingly planned by the "gardening man."
Sweet roses and posies on Rose Avenue.

The "green man" statuary on the chimney,
significant of abundance.
Mother Nature keeping watch.
Phil, the living "green man"-
planting, pruning, raking, harvesting, enjoying.
Always cleaning, washing, building -
consistently celebrating his plot of land -
his corner of creation and lovely intention.
Always restoring in beauty, friendship, humility and affection.

Gardening Man - a true blessing for us.
Gardening Angel - a true blessing for all.

Wherever I wander, wherever I roam;
the house on the corner still welcomes me home.

1 comment:

Gregg said...

Nancy has an amazing way with words. I love her book "An Elder Celtic Odyssey" that Mr. & Mrs. D gave me.